Are you unable to use apps or make changes to your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick because the remote is unresponsive? Do some buttons on your Fire TV remote stop working? That’s probably because the remote is unable to establish a connection with the Fire TV.
If the issue persists for too long, you should reset the Fire TV remote. In the next section, you’ll find detailed instructions on how to reset your Fire TV remote to the factory default.
How to Reset Your Fire TV Stick Remote
The steps to reset a Fire TV or Fire TV Stick’s remote will vary depending on the model or edition of the streaming device. In this section, we’ll show you how to reset the remote of all Fire TV editions.
If you don’t know what version of Fire TV you have, check the device’s packaging or the document (i.e., the User Guide) included in the package. One last thing: for optimum result, the remote you want to reset should be within 10 feet of the Fire TV.
Reset Fire TV Remote
If you have the Basic Edition of the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, the remote should look like the one in the image below. Here’s how to reset the remote:
- Press and hold the Home button.
- Without releasing the Home button, press the Menu button three times.
- Release the Home button and press the Menu button nine times.
- Remove the remote’s batteries and unplug your Fire TV Stick from the power source.
- Wait for at least a minute, reinsert the batteries in the remote, and plug the Fire TV Stick back to the power outlet.
- When the Fire TV Stick boots to the home screen, hold the Home button on the remote for 40 seconds.
- Release the Home button and wait for about a minute to complete the reset process.
Reset Alexa Voice Remote 1st Gen
This is the remote that ships with the 1st generation of the Fire TV Stick. It lacks the power, mute, and volume buttons. Follow the steps below to reset this Fire TV remote.
- First, you’ll need to unplug your Fire TV Stick from the power outlet and wait for at least a minute (60 seconds) before you can reset the remote.
- Press and hold the Left button and the Menu button simultaneously for at least 12 seconds.
- Release both buttons and wait for at least 5 seconds.
- Remove the remote’s batteries.
- Plug your Fire TV Stick back into the power outlet and wait for it to get powered on. That’ll take at least a minute.
- Now put the batteries back in the remote and press the Home button.
You’ve successfully reset the remote of your Fire TV Stick (1st Generation).
Reset Alexa Voice Remote (2nd Gen)
The remote of the second-generation Fire TV is the first to ship with a dedicated power button, volume buttons, and mute button. If you have this remote, here’s how to restore it to factory default.
- Unplug the Fire TV Stick from the power outlet.
- Press and hold the Menu, Left, and Back buttons together for 10-15 seconds.
- Release all three buttons and wait for at least 5 seconds.
- Remove the remote’s batteries and plug the Fire TV Stick back to the power outlet.
- Wait for the Fire TV Stick to boot to the home screen (this takes about a minute or more) and reinsert the batteries in the remote.
- Finally, press the Home button and check if your Fire TV Stick detects the remote.
Reset Voice Remote with Amazon Alexa (3rd Generation)
This is currently the most sophisticated Fire TV remote. It comes with a refined Alexa button, a “Guide” button, and preset app shortcuts. Resetting this remote follows the same steps as resetting the 2nd Gen Fire TV Stick.
Make sure the remote is within 10 feet of your FIre TV Stick and follow the steps below.
- Unplug the Fire TV Stick from the power outlet.
- Press and hold the following button for 10 seconds: Menu, Left, and Back buttons.
- Release all three buttons, wait for at least 5 seconds, and remove the remote’s batteries.
- Plug the Fire TV Stick back to a power outlet and put the batteries back in the remote.
- Press the Home button on the remote to complete the process.
Reset Amazon Voice Remote Lite
This is the streamlined version of the Alexa remote that ships with the Fire TV Stick Lite. To reset this remote, unplug the Fire TV Stick Lite from its power source and follow the steps below.
- Press and hold the Menu, Back, and Left buttons on the remote for 12-15 seconds.
- Release all three buttons, wait 5 seconds, and remove the remote’s batteries.
- Plug the Fire TV back to a power outlet and wait for a minute or more.
- Put the batteries back in the remote and press the Home button to complete the reset.
Fire TV Remote Still Doesn’t Work? Try These
Your Fire TV remote will occasionally malfunction if the batteries are weak. If performing a reset doesn’t fix the problem, replace the Fire TV remote batteries with a new pair of AAA alkaline batteries.
Physical damage is another cause of remote malfunction and pairing issues. Frequently dropping your Fire TV remote will damage it, so will exposure to liquid. If the remote still doesn’t work correctly after replacing the batteries, you might have to purchase a replacement Fire TV remote.